MyFina - Web-based Personal Financial System
MyFina is a simple web based personal finance and budgeting program for managing accounts and expenses. The system aimed at those who have little or no financial background to gain control over their money. The system supports multiple numbers of users. In making this software, the developer has attempted to make things as simple as possible, while still retaining enough functions to satisfy most home users.
MyFina back-end system will run on almost any computer which has an Apache Web Server and MySQL database server installed. This can include Windows, Macintosh OS X, Linux, and many other operating systems. Since the system is a web based in nature, all users can connect to the system for any kind of PC system regardless of Operating System types via the internet browser such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
The system was built using PHP on top of CodeIgniter Open Source PHP Framework. The data are stored in a MySQL database server thus making it easy to maintain, backup and restore. In addition, the system could be accessed anywhere with internet connection.
This system wast initially built by me as one of projects assignment in my university. The system was inspired by another open source personal financial management software called Buddi (http://buddi.thecave.homeunix.org/) which I used regularly for the past years. I found out that the application is very handy and fulfill my needs. The only problem is, the data are stored in local hard disk thus making it difficult for me to do data update whenever I am away from my PC. So I take this opportunity to build an almost similar system, only it will be web-based and database driven where data update can be done anywhere provided that internet connection is available. The system should also able to support multiple users so that it can be used by my friends, family and also anybody else who are interested.
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Cross platform backend, will run on any computer with Apache & MySQL server installed
- Web based system front-end, can connect via any type of Internet Browser
- Simple Double Entry Accounting
- Multiple users at the same time
- User can define monthly budget and all transaction will be tied back to their budgeting
Live Demo (production mode)
Username : demo
Password : demodemo
The system is also running in production mode where several users are currently using it everyday. You can also create your own account for free.
For those who prefer to install MyFina in their own machine, source code is available at
- Unpack the package into a web accessible folder
- Create a new MySQL database for the system named “myfina”
- Grant privileges on the myfina database to user named “myfina” with password “myfina”
- Import myfina_install.sql (located in sql folder) into the newly created database.
- Edit the database configuration file located at :
- Edit the system configuration file located at :
- Make sure folder tmp are writeable by all
- Access the system via web browser
Example: create database myfina;
Example: grant all privileges on myfina.* to myfina@localhost identified by 'myfina';
Example: mysql myfina < myfina_install.sql -u myfina -p
Example: chmod 777 tmp
Popularity: 3% [?]